Asashoryu Quits Sumo

相撲

Grand champion Asashoryu has announced he is quitting sumo in the wake of his latest scandal.

The 29-year-old Mongolian is alleged to have punched and broken the nose of a man after a drinking binge at a night club in the capital during the New Year tournament.



At a press conference at the Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo, the yokozuna (real name Dolgorsurengiin Dagvadorj) tearfully announced: "I caused trouble to a lot of people and I feel hugely responsible as yokozuna. I was the only one who could finish this matter the right way."

He went on: "I think I was destined to end my career like this."

Asashoryu won his 25th Emperor's Cup last month in Tokyo, despite his involvement in the incident, and is third on the all-time list of tournament winners behind Taiho with 32 and Chiyonofuji with 31. He holds the record of seven consecutive tournament wins starting with the 2004 Kyushu Grand Tournament.

© JapanVisitor.com

Yahoo Japan Auction Service

Book a Japanese Hotel with Bookings

Japanese Friends

Rough Guide To Japan

Tags

ラベル: , edit post
0 Responses

コメントを投稿